Monday, March 31, 2008

How Do I Position My Satellite TV Dish Without Special Equipment

When someone asks how do I position my satellite dish, the best answer is for them to contact a professional installer and have them hook it up. However, there are going to be folks that either insist on doing these types of things by themselves, or the installer cannot make it until after the big game is one and they do not want to wait. They may have successfully installed the mounting bracket and the mounting arm, and have the dish in place and are now asking how do I position my satellite dish to get the signal strength needed.

To begin, a compass can make it a lot easier when asking how do I position my satellite dish, as there are two adjustments that will be needed. The dish will have to point upwards towards the orbiting satellite and will need to swing from left to right to find the strongest signal available. Going to the satellite services internet site, they will offer the option of entering a street address or specific location by latitude and longitude. The service will then offer two numbers, related to how to point the dish and which direction left or right.

When many installers are asked how do I position my satellite dish they suggest starting with the longitude, that is the left and right position of the satellite. The compass can provide that information. Set the compass on the arm holding the dish and move it until it is pointing at the magnetic position corresponding to the proper position.

Letting Satellite Receiver Help Find Signal

The set top units for satellite television usually have a menu item that helps in establishing alignment with the satellite. Some may even tell in which direction the dish has to be moved. Once the longitude has been set, the azimuth adjustments can start, that is how high off the horizon the dish is pointed. Under the section called how do I position my satellite dish in the instruction manual, it show how to move the dish. The information plugged into the website gave the height, such as 20-degrees, which is 20-degrees from aiming straight at the horizon.

Once aimed and a signal on the television shows the signal strength, small, gradual movements can be made to improve the signal. Essentially when someone asks how do I position my satellite dish, the answer should be one-degree at a time, with a lot of patience.

No comments: